Making Connections is an exciting new program supported by the Dean of the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. The program is designed to facilitate community engagement between new college faculty members and external partners throughout California. Making Connections offers a series of immersive tours and experiences around the state and will be available to faculty during winter and spring quarters of the 2019-20 academic year. Each tour offers insight into the agricultural systems and environmental landscapes found in various regions. An emphasis is placed on meeting external practitioners and constituents from around the state and hearing and learning about their experiences first hand. We encourage new faculty to use this opportunity as a way to expand and enrich their understanding of California and how it relates to and supports their personal areas of research.
Have questions about these events? Learn more information on our FAQ page.
Join us at an upcoming Making Connections event
Cows, creameries and the sea
Dairy is California’s top commodity so we’re heading to the coast to tour Clover Sonoma’s creamery and Bucher Family Dairy. We’ll also visit UC Davis-Bodega Marine Laboratory, part of the UC Natural Reserve System to learn about current research. Lunch will be at Valley Ford Cheese, and a networking dinner at alumni-owned Bear Republic Brewing.
Wednesday, May 8
- 7am leave Davis by bus
- Clover Sonoma Creamery Tour
- UC Davis Bodega Bay Marine Lab Tour
- Lunch at Valley Ford Cheese Cafe
- Bucher Family Farms Dairy Tour
- Bear Republic Brewing Company Beer Tasting and Networking Dinner
- Depart for Davis 8pm
Rivers, food processing, commodities markets and fruit
June 7-8, 2019 ▪ Rivers, trees, and commodities markets, Fresno County
Visit Valley farmers and meet with agribusiness executives to discuss global commodity markets. This experience will be capped off with a networking dinner on the San Joaquin River. Adventurous faculty who choose to camp overnight will enjoy a morning canoe trip alongside experts from the San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust.
Friday, June 7 Schedule:
- 8am Depart Davis
- Woolf Farming almond field tour
- Olam discussion of global commodity markets
- McClarty Farms tour of tree fruit and table grape production
- Networking Dinner at San Joaquin River Park Conservancy
* Overnight camping by the river OR Return by van to Davis
Saturday, June 8 Schedule:
- Guided canoe trip with San Joaquin River with River Park Conservancy