International Student Advising

Welcome! The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Undergraduate Academic Programs (UAP) unit is committed to supporting you in achieving your academic and personal goals at UC Davis. Our team of academic advisors is excited to partner with you during your UC Davis experience.

At UC Davis, you have many major, minor, and course options. Advisors provide a safe and inclusive space to help you:

  • explore majors,
  • plan degree requirements,
  • navigate UC Davis policies and procedures,
  • discuss educational goals,
  • refer you to various campus resources,
  • and listen carefully to your questions and concerns

In the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dean’s Office, you can meet with the International Academic Advisor along with any of the other advisors on the team. To schedule an appointment, you can go to, or stop by our office, 150 Mrak Hall, Monday – Friday from 9:00-12:00 and 1:30-4 (except Wednesday mornings).

You are not expected to navigate UC Davis on your own – our advising team is here to support you throughout your educational experience! We understand that seeking advising takes courage and we are grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with you during your undergraduate education.


New First-Year and Transfer Students

Along with academic advising, Aggie 101 and Aggie Orientation will provide you with the tools you need to begin your Fall quarter. Before you begin Fall classes and throughout your time at UC Davis, advisors are available to support you in navigating university requirements and connecting with campus resources. Please ask us your questions – we are here for you!


International Advising Workshops

First-year international students in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences attend a required International Academic Advising Workshop during their first Fall quarter. The workshop offers strategies for navigating academics and building community at UC Davis, while providing you with the tools to create an action plan to achieve your personal and educational goals. During the workshop, you’ll also meet other international students studying in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences


Services for International Students and Scholars

During your transition to UC Davis, Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS) will help you with documents to apply for and maintain your visa, along with answering questions related to immigration. They are the experts on navigating government regulations and an important resource to utilize beginning prior to your first quarter.


Building Community at UC Davis

We understand that the university is more than being in classes and want to support you in building a network at UC Davis. Finding community looks different for every student and as advisors, we want to discuss ways to support you in feeling a sense of belonging at UC Davis. We recommend that you find the best fit for you, but have developed a list to help you get started:

  • Undergraduate Academic Programs (UAP) Dean’s Office events including Slice of Advising, Study Break, and Coffee with the Dean offer informal spaces to connect with students, advisors, and faculty, while getting your questions answered.
  • The Pal Program pairs UC Davis undergraduate students to support intercultural awareness, practices languages, and build friendships. Pals meet one-on-one and attend social events hosted by the Pal Program together.
  • The Global Ambassador Mentorship Program matches new international students with current students based on shared academic and social interests. This program is great way to expand your UC Davis network.


Experiential Learning Opportunities

In addition to discussing classes, goals, and campus resources, advisors can help connect you with learning opportunities outside of the classroom.

The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dean’s Office hosts leadership opportunities for you to be involved in both the campus and local communities. You can join a one-time service trip or participate in a weeklong service trip during Spring Break, represent the college as an Aggie Ambassador or member of Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS), and coordinate events for UC Davis Field Day.

Your faculty are a great resource to get connected with research and internship opportunities. The Undergraduate Research Center offers advising, programs, funding, and a conference to support undergraduate research.

The Internship and Career Center supports undergraduate students in the job application process through one-on-one advising and group workshops. You may be able to work on-campus on a student visa. Please review the employment website available through Services for International Students and Scholar (SISS) for more info on working in the US.  

Visit the Study Abroad website or office to learn more about the many opportunities. UC Davis Summer Abroad and Quarter Abroad offer UC Davis courses taught abroad. UC EAP offers the opportunity to participate in language and culture programs, internship programs, and study at a university abroad. UC EAP courses appear on your UC Davis transcript and the grades are calculated into your UC Davis grade point average (GPA). 

We encourage you to build a network of support at UC Davis. Advisors are an important piece of your network and can help you get involved with hands-on learning opportunities to develop your unique campus community.


Common Questions

Common questions related to the international student experience are below. These are not all-inclusive and we look forward to answering your individual questions during an advising appointment.

  • Can I go part-time for a quarter?
  • International students may only go part-time (10 units or less) in their final quarter before graduation with the appropriate approvals. Exceptions to full-time status at any other time are only made under exceptional circumstances.  Please consult with an advisor from Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS). 
  • I have A-Level Exam credit. How does it apply toward my degree requirements?
  • You can earn units if you have completed Advanced Levels Exams. These units can be used toward the minimum 180 unit requirement to graduate. A-Level credit is not equivalent to coursework taken at UC Davis. Students cannot earn GE credit for A-Level coursework. However, it may be possible to receive credit for major requirements. Please meet with your major advisor to determine how A-Level course credit might apply to your major.
  • Can I do coursework in my home country over summer?
  • Yes! After you have completed your coursework, you will need to have the university send an official transcript to Undergraduate Admissions. They will evaluate the coursework and determine if transfer credit can be awarded. This process could take several months from the time Undergraduate Admissions receives your transcript. You will not know in advance if the courses taken abroad will be transferable to UC Davis. If you want to stay in Davis, you have the option to attend UC Davis Summer Sessions or a California Community College, confirming transferability on ASSIST, to earn course credit.
  • What is Entry Level Writing Requirement?
  • Entry Level Writing (ELWR) is a University of California requirement intended to prepare students for writing tasks expected both in courses at UC Davis and after graduation. All incoming international students whose first language is not English and who have not met the University of California’s Entry Level Writing Requirement are required to take the writing placement survey.