The Viticulture and Enology department combines the sciences of viticulture and enology in a single research and teaching unit that encompasses all of the scientific disciplines that impact grape growing and winemaking.
For over one hundred years the University of California has maintained an active and productive program in research and education in viticulture and enology. The continuing excellence of the Department has enabled California growers and vintners to develop practices that have allowed the Golden State to achieve its potential and become a premier wine-producing region.
Main research areas:
- Plant genomics and breeding
- Physiology of vine water stress
- Plant biogeochemistry
- Sensory analysis of wine and food
- Wine, table, and raisin grape production
- Process sustainability and optimization
- Flavor chemistry
Viticulture and Enology