Undeclared, Exploratory Program

Who is in the Undeclared/Exploratory Program?

The term "undeclared/exploratory" describes a pre-major advising program designed to assist students with the process of discovering the wide variety of academic opportunities and programs available while, at the same time, helping define and focus academic interests.

Do you know that many students come to UC Davis not knowing what major they want to pursue? Being undeclared/exploratory means that you can dedicate up to two years (90 units excluding Advanced Placement credits) exploring your academic options, personal interests, strengths, and career goals. There are many ways to do this:

  • Be curious! Take classes that you are interested in and see where it goes from there. Please make sure you enroll in lower division courses.
  • Build your connections. Join one of our 800 UC Davis student clubs!
  • Register for Career Discovery Group (CDG) program during your first quarter. The CDG program is designed to help undeclared/exploratory students with major selection and career planning. In this program, you will work with experts in the Internship and Career Center (ICC) and graduate student mentors to explore an array of career paths.

The undeclared/exploratory program provides a professionally guided exploration process of academic and personal transition and development. Advisors help with this exploration of options and identification of areas of interest while assuring successful academic progress toward the completion of a Baccalaureate degree. To begin this process, it is important to know what resources are available. 

Tools and Resources

You can learn more about various resources to help you choose a major and classes:


Declaring a major

As described in the UC Davis General Catalog, students must declare a major by the time they have completed 90 units. Failure to declare a major at this point may result in a hold on your registration, which will block you from registering for classes.  

In order to declare a major, you must meet with your intended major advisor to discuss degree requirements and submit the following forms through the OASIS website https://students.ucdavis.edu/forms/ 

  • Change of Major 
  • 3-Quarter Academic Plan (approved by your intended major advisor - please ensure you select the box for your intended major) 

To Make an Appointment 

As an undeclared/exploratory major, your Dean’s Office advisors are your “major” advisors. You can meet with any advisor to discuss your academic goals and course selection.

If you have a specific major in mind, reviewing the major page in the Aggie Advising course is a great way to build your schedule to try out that major program.

Here are ways to seek advising in our office: 

  • You will be invited to schedule an appointment with our office to discuss your interests and go over any questions you may have.
  • Please email us if you need further assistance.